Molybdenum is classified as a metallic element and found widely in nature in nitrogen-fixing bacteria. Molybdenum is essential in trace amounts for human, animal and plant health. The main known function of molybdenum in humans is to act as a catalyst for enzymes and to help facilitate the breakdown of certain amino acids in the body. Molybdenum also promotes normal cell function, protects against cancer and fights inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. This mineral’s deficiency is rare and includes increased respiratory or heart rate, night blindness, mouth and gum disorders, sexual impotence in older males and sulfite sensitivity. Molybdenum is generally considered to be safe as there is little evidence of toxicity even at several times the RDA. Excessive intake however, of more than 10 mg daily over a long period has been linked to gout-like symptoms such as pain and swelling of joints. Other symptoms of molybdenum toxicity include dizziness, tiredness, and rashes. As molybdenum interferes with copper metabolism, too much of it can cause low red blood cell count (anemia) or low white blood cell count, due to lack of copper. The AI for Molybdenum is 2 µg for 0-6 months infants and 3 µg for 7-12 months infants. The RDA is 17 µg for 1-3 years children , 22 µg for 4-8 years children, 34 µg for 9 - 13 years children, 43 µg for 14 - 18 teenagers, 45 µg for adults, and 50 µg for pregnant and lactating women.